PRESS RELEASE - For Immediate
March 9, 2009
“Southold Historical Society announces Spring Exhibit on
the Historic Camp Pinecrest Dunes."
SOUTHOLD, NY. The Southold
Historical Society is pleased to announce this year’s
spring exhibition “Camp Pinecrest Dunes in
Photographs: 1931-1970” will open to the public
on April 4th, 2009. It will be on display in the Ann
Currie-Bell House's Mayne Gallery on Saturdays and
Sundays, 1-4pm, through on view through June 7th, 2009.
Pinecrest Dunes was one of
Southold’s most successful summer camps almost from its
inception. This humble institution had its beginnings
in New Jersey, where its founder was born and raised.
It was unlike the other camps that were located on the
North Fork – these included Camp Annunziata (Catholic
girls), Camp Molloy (Catholic boys), Camp Mineola, and
St. Thomas’s Beach Camp (for the less fortunate
parishioner’s of St. Thomas’s Church in Manhattan on
east 60th Street) in East Marion – because so many had
been founded by religious, and not secular forces.
Pinecrest Dunes would be the place where anyone could
attend, regardless of religion or social class.
"Everyone who ever attended the
camp has fond memories of their time there," stated
Geoffrey Fleming, the Historical Society's Director.
"The founders, Mr. & Mrs. Tom Ward, created an
atmosphere that was fun while also being educational for
the many children who attended," he continued.
The exhibit, which includes images
from all four decades of the camps history, will also
include memorabilia form the camp as well. Badges,
pins, flyers, records, and promotional catalogs, some
dating back to the 1930's, will also be displayed in the
gallery. A number of items from the former camp office,
including a toy model of the old jeep that ferried Tom
around, shall be included in the display.
After the camp closed in 1970, the
site was purchased by Suffolk County and is now occupied
by Peconic Dunes County Park which continues the
tradition of Tom Ward’s camp with an environmental
education center and annual summer camp. But for those
who remember the great summers spent in Peconic, there
will never be anything like Pinecrest Dunes, one of the
premier camps ever created on eastern Long Island.
The exhibition will be on
display in the Ann Currie-Bell House's Mayne Gallery on
Saturdays and Sundays, 1-4pm, through on view through
June 7th, 2009. The house is located at the Society's
Museum Complex, located at the corner of Maple Lane and
Main Road in Southold, NY, 11971.
For further information, or if you
have questions, please call (631) 765-5500.