Horton Point Lighthouse
The Horton Point Lighthouse, circa 1900
The Lighthouse is open from Memorial Day through Columbus Day,
Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30am - 4:00 pm. Admission to the
Lighthouse is $3.00 for adults and is FREE for children under the age of 12.
Be sure to visit our
newest exhibit, "Tale of the Whale." Bring a picnic and enjoy the spectacular
view of Long Island Sound and Connecticut from our eight-acre park. Descend 120
steps to the beach or walk the nature trail. Weather permitting, there are front
porch craft demonstrations on Sunday afternoons. There will also be special
events throughout this special summer.
The Southold Historical Society's Nautical Museum at Horton
Point Lighthouse was completely renovated during the winter of 2005-06.
New exhibits, rare historical objects, and other updated displays make a visit
to the lighthouse a MUST when you are on the North Fork of Long Island.
* PLEASE NOTE: Parking on
the lighthouse grounds is limited to certain days of the
week during the summer season and remainder of the year. Please be aware that if
you are planning a visit, to check in with the Society
or the Southold Park District concerning
parking. Pease also note that pets are NOT allowed
on the grounds of the lighthouse. For further
information on parking and rules, please visit the
Southold park district's website by clicking
HERE. Thank you.
Click on the links below to learn about some of the new objects and displays:
Display on the War of 1812 and the H.M.S.
Historic Ledgers from the Horton Point
Early 19th century Long Island Sailor's Ditty
Rare 19th century Ivory and Ebony Whale Stamps
The Capt. Henry Green (1794-1873) Whaling
The Society's Nautical Art Collection at
Horton Point NEW!
HISTORY OF THE LIGHTHOUSE:
(For an exhaustive history,
The Horton Point Lighthouse, located north of downtown Southold, was
constructed by the U. S. Lighthouse Service in 1857. It is one of seven historic
lighthouses located in Southold Township. The tower and adjoining keepers
residence are built on the "Cliff Lot" of Barnabas Horton's original 1640 land
The tower, which was originally connected to the residence by a cut stone
wind-way, is 58 feet tall and once held a 3rd order Fresnel lens. The
lighthouse was managed by several men during its history. Below is a list
of the keepers of the lighthouse from its opening until its automation in 1933.
For detailed biographies of these keepers click
William Sinclair (1857-1861)
Albert J. Tillinghast (1861-1866)
Barnabas Pike (1866-1869)
Theron W. Squires (1869-1871)
Daniel Goldsmith (1871-1877)
George S. Prince (1877-1896)
Robert E. Ebbitts (1896-1903)
Stella Prince (Acting Keeper, 1903-1904)
Robert E. Ebbitts (1904-1919)
George Erhardt (1919-1933)
At the time of the automation of the lighthouse in 1933 the
original Fresnel lens was removed and a new skeletal light tower was built
closer to the coastline. In January of 1934 the Lighthouse and the
surrounding property was purchased to the Southold Park District. During
World War II the Lighthouse was occupied by the Coast Guard, Civilian Defense
Corps., and a succession of military units.
In 1990 a massive restoration project was begun. The tower
was repaired internally and externally, reopened, and relit. At that time
the lower level of the Keeper's House was converted into the Southold Historical
Society's Nautical Museum. The Lighthouse is listed on both the State &
National Registers of Historic Places.
visit the Long Island Lighthouses web-page for the Horton Point Lighthouse! ***