The Maple Lane Museum Complex
The property began life as the home of our founder,
Ann Hallock Currie-Bell. Her home, which was left to the
Society in 1964, was the first building the Society
owned. From that small beginning, neighboring land to
the east was acquired and other buildings were either
purchased or donated and moved to the site. Today,
eleven buildings arranged on the grounds of the Museum
Complex are currently open to the public. They include:
- The Thomas Moore House - Constructed around 1750 by Samuel
Landon, the house received its name because the site was once the location of
a house built by Moore. The Moore House contains displays of
pre-industrial artifacts, and illustrates life before that age. The
house is listed on the New York State and National
Registers of Historic Places.
- The Long Print Shop & Downs Carriage Shop - Built in 1840,
the Society's working print shop is located in this building. It is the
only building not original to Southold Town - it was
built in Riverhead.
- The Gagen Blacksmith Shop - Built in 1842, the shop operated
continuously for over 100 years before it closed. Now restored, the shop
regularly hosts blacksmith demonstrations.
- The Farm Equipment Shed - This
structure houses part of the Society's burgeoning
farm equipment collection.
- The Bay View School - Built in 1822, the school was used for
over 100 years before it was closed in 1925. Lovingly restored by the
Society, it now once again receives students who participate in the Society's
- The Pine Neck Barn - Dating to the 1700's, the Barn was,
like many of the buildings located at the Maple Lane site, moved to the
Society's property in the 1960's. The magnificent hand-hewn beams are
the backdrop for the Society's collection of sleighs, carriages, and other
transportation related collections. The barn underwent extensive
renovations and restoration in 2007.
- The Joseph N. Hallock/Ann Currie-Bell House - Constructed in
1900 for Joseph N. Hallock, the house is a beautiful example of late Victorian
architecture. The house contains much of the
work of artist Thomas Currie-Bell (1873-1946), the
husband of our founder. The house is listed on
the New York State and National Registers of
- The Bay View Icehouse - Constructed out of brick in 1875, it
was originally located on the farm of Edward Mills in Bayview. It's
unique, circular brick building with a conical roof, is unusual for the North
- The Overton Corncrib - Also dating to about 1875, it was
built originally on the farm of Silas Overton in Peconic.
- The Buttery - Essentially built
out of the remains of two outhouses, the building
has on display all the necessary equipment for the making of butter, including
butter-molds, churns, pitchers, crocks, and pails.
- The Moore Outhouse – A typical
farmers outhouse from the late 19th century, it is
original to the Thomas Moore House site. Today it is
restored as a working bathroom with modern plumbing.