February 24, 2015
PRESS RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
“Historical Society spring exhibit ‘Hobbling Through Southold’ to open in March”
SOUTHOLD, NY. The Southold Historical Society is pleased to announce it is hosting an exhibition that discusses the changing streetscape of Main Road in Southold during the 19th century. This exhibit – entitled “Hobbling Through Southold” will open to the public on Saturday, March 21, 2015 in the Cosden-Price Gallery in the Reichert Family Center, which is located at 54127 Main Road, Southold, NY.
The exhibit is based upon a series of articles that were published in the Long Island Traveler newspaper in 1898. The articles went by the byline “Hobbles” when they were first published and were composed of the memories of at least two older men who called themselves “The Old Traveler Boys.” Both men had grown up in Southold and used their memories to paint a picture of how Main Road had changed during their lifetimes, particularly since 1848.
At least one of the men involved in creating the original newspaper columns is known. His name was J. Horton Case (1830-1904). He was a farmer and lived on Main Road next door to the Cleveland-Gagen Blacksmith shop (present location of Jasmine Lane). Later in life he worked for local newspapers and as a fertilizer dealer. “The kind of information they impart is invaluable as it would be almost impossible to find from other published sources,” stated Geoffrey K. Fleming, Director of the Society. This includes information on owners, their families, as well as interesting events that happened at the sites.
One of these comments related to the property of Michael Stelzer, located just west of the present day Wayside Market, and a terrible outbreak of disease which nearly wiped out his entire family. As one of articles noted “Next we come to Michael Steltzer’s who in 1811 lost in one week seven children between the ages of 9 months and 10 years to diphtheria. In one afternoon there were brought to his house four coffins to receive his dead.”
The exhibit will include panels with descriptions from the articles, as well as map locations and period photographs of the buildings discussed by the men. While some of these buildings still stand, many others have been altered or demolished over the years. “For those not familiar with the different buildings that once graced Main Road, this will be a good chance to learn much more about them,” continued Fleming.
The exhibit will be on display at the Cosden-Price Gallery in the Society’s Reichert Family Center, which is located at 54127 Main Road, Southold, NY, from March 21 through May 2, 2015, Thursday-Saturday, 1-4pm. For more information on this exhibit or other Society programs, please contact the Southold Historical Society at (631) 765-5500 or visit us online at www.southoldhistoricalsociety.org.